Thursday 24 May 2007

Encubierto

Oddly enough, I listened to something which I think answers why I'm studying history: 'Los historiadores somos filósofos encubiertos'. Estábamos en clases con Ale Araya, and when she said that, I saw it clearly. Because I'm too scared to do philosophy it's that I'm studying history. Afterwards, we talked about the whole history of mentalities thing, which I believe made her a bit happy because no one really seemed too interested about it, or (as it were) no one ever participates too much. At first I thought that was because of shyness, but it in the end it always comes down to a few talking and doing the whole discussion. That aside, today was definitely productive.

What makes me glad is that I think I'm finding where to go afterwards, how to set myself in this huge thing. That there's someone who can speak in a similar code, who's keen on the same subjects and that's also a teacher. Call it belonging, but I don't quite think it's that because it's not that all of the sudden the institution feels as the place of my life and all that. Maybe a bit of hope, that might be it. Some expectation, as it has been the tone of the past weeks.

From a part, from a particular discipline there's the chance to account for what we are made of. Not wholely, but accounting for nonetheless. It's the human being, always. Humans and history, humans and power, humans and the body, humans and the others, humans and humanity, humans and language, humans and thought. All the anthropocentrism appears a tad pathetic, yes, but it's inevitable. Commonplaces, topoi. The Eternal Return mirrored in every possible continuous present, unfolding and breaking events in the infinite chain which goes both ways.

1 comment:

Cronopia said...

But you're talking about history, anyway. 'Cuz life started a lot before us.
And human things are important to you 'cuz you're human...
But have you thought about what's hte point of being alive?
I'm not sure about that, I've been thinking my all life, you know?
Since I was five and I realized there was no god.
It's just.. I think we create a lot of things and evolution and at the same time we "destroy everything we touch"... and we are born, and we study.. a lot.. and we work, and have children... and they'll do the same... and there's so much pain in the way.
Why should we live?
Does it really matters?
I think that maybe if we all die one day... everything will be better.

I know tomorrow I'll think different.

Sorry por lo largo e incoherente, no sé por qué quise escribirlo..